The President of Ghana Golf Association(GGA) Mr. Mike Aggrey appealed to government for early return of the sport amid coronavirus pandemic.
The President indicated that golf is a very unique sport and hence should be considered on its own merit and given some consideration. He also outline some reason they should permit them play golf.
Golf by nature as a recreational activity allows for, and encourages, social distancing for the following reasons:
• Golf is played in what is called “four-balls” i.e. no more than 4 people play together at any one time.
• The nature of the game, which is played over an area that is on average over 40 hectares, is such that nobody has to be within 5 meters of each other whilst playing.
• As physical outdoors exercise it is ideal, as a normal round of golf takes between 4 and 5 hours during which time a distance of 8 to 10 kms is covered.
• Exercising boosts the immune system and Golf is internationally recognized as one of the best forms of exercise for persons over the age of 35.
• According to our shared research with global PGAs and Club Management Associations, every country in the world that encourages social distancing as a definitive measure to curb the spread of the Covid-19 virus, allows golf courses to remain open under certain strict conditions. This is done to provide a safe recreational activity in addition to, walking, and running.